A couple weeks ago, we were invited to attend a pool party / bbq at a friends house and they offered to make most of the food, but we wanted to bring something to share. I was hoping to serve something nutritious and tasty but it had to be something that could sit out for an extended period of time too.
I decided that a chopped vegetable salad would be just the thing. I grabbed some of Lovebugs favorite vegetables and cut them up so that they were all about the same small size. I tossed them with a simple vinaigrette and we were good to go.
This salad is tasty, refreshing and has the perfect satisfying crunch! It is full of vibrant colors and the small pieces are very kid friendly. It is healthy and a perfect side dish for a hot summer day. Plus, the salad can be made in advance so it is perfect for parties, picnics or bbq’s.
This salad is terrific on its own but would make great meal if it was served on a bed of greens with some grilled chicken. I absolutely love it and plan on making it often this summer!
Chopped Vegetable Salad
1 cup chopped green beans
1 cup corn
1 cup chopped carrots
1 English cucumber, chopped
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion
NOTE: All vegetables should be chopped to about 1/4 inch in size.
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground garlic
1 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Blanch the green beans and corn in a pot of boiling water for about one minute. Transfer them immediately to an ice bath for about 5 minutes to stop the cooking. Spread the cooled corn and green beans on a kitchen towel to dry.
2. Next, blanch the carrots in the pot of boiling water for about 4 minutes, transferring them immediately to an ice bath for about 5 minutes when done cooking. Spread the cooled carrots on a kitchen towel to dry.
3. Place the green beans, corn and carrots in a large bowl.
4. Add the cucumber, tomatoes, red and yellow bell peppers and red onion and stir to combine. Set aside.
5. Pour the ingredients for the dressing into a small mason jar. Shake to combine.
6. Pour 3/4 of the dressing over the vegetables and toss to coat. Add the remaining dressing, as needed.
7. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. *
* This salad can sit at room temperature for several hours but I recommend you keep it refrigerated because it is more refreshing that way.
Read More →